Tuesday, January 17, 2006

We still like food.

Hey all. Sorry for the hiatus. We've been having a bit of a blog depression. But we're back and doubly committed to blogging about our food adventures.

Recently I've had more than a few culinary disasters as a result of overly-cocky experimentation. Some highlights include:
-Making a tofu sautee and forgetting the tofu
-a HORRIFYING dessert composed of vanilla ice cream, nasty salty peanut butter, and a dark bitter chocolate sauce which should never have seen the light of day
-about a dozen uninspired salads


I think this sort of thing happens when I get over-confident with my cooking skills. I take things for granted, like the amount of time it takes for something to really marinate, or chopping everything to roughly the same size so that it cooks uniformly, or just thoughtful composition of ingredients. When I have a series of disasters, it's just the universe reminding me not to get too full of myself. Maybe it's time to take a class and learn something new.

In any case, I've been following recipes more closely. I tried a tuna and white bean salad out of Giada De Laurentiis' book "Everyday Italian", and it came out protein-packed and super tasty. I don't think I'm legally allowed to post her recipe here, but here's a picture of how it turned out:



I've also decided to adopt Paula's habit of consuming one or two pieces of dark chocolate every day. For, um, antioxidants! Yeah! That's the ticket!

3 Comments:

Blogger Eti said...

On Monday night, I consumed about 8 helpings of "antioxidants" for dinner.

"THIS is why we can't have "antioxidants" in the house!"

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For those of your readers who are pregnant, my friend told me that a piece of dark chocolate a day is supposed to make a happy baby. It certainly worked for her!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Skerlie Bee said...

Well,if thats the case, I should be healthy as a horse, because I regularly get my glass o' red wine AND my chocolate. (There's almost always a bar of Valrhona somewhere in the house)

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home