Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Turkey Soup/Turkey Potpie and the Turkey Crack Whore

This was my first year to host Thanksgiving. This was the first time I cooked a turkey. Not just any turkey, but a twenty-one pound organically fed, no antibiotics given, free-range Whole Foods turkey, kind of Thanksgiving. We have never started small in my family.

Despite all my minor and major freak-outs and stressful moments, Thanksgiving Day went off without a hitch. We ate with in 15minutes to my estimated time, people had seconds, thirds, and M said it as the best Thanksgiving dinner he ever ate (and if he is smart he will continue to have the ‘best Thanksgiving dinner ever’ every year I cook).

I learned two unanticipated lessons from this Thanksgiving. The first being, the one dish I did entirely on my own with no help, prep, from anyone one but myself, was the one that I was most disappointed in. The sweet potatoes. It wasn’t the recipe or the flavors that disappointed me but my own personal mistake. I didn’t have enough olive oil on the roasting pan and the sweet potatoes over browned on their bottoms. Goes to show that sometimes doing something on your own isn’t always the best way. The second lesson I learned was that leftovers, i.e. the opportunity to make turkey soup was the best part of hosting Thanksgiving. The sweet reward to my tired feet and aching back of non-stop cooking on Thanksgiving was rewarded on Friday evening with the slurping of Turkey soup.

Here’s how I made my turkey soup. I can only assume it is basic because it seemed pretty simple and tasty to me.

Take the turkey carcass, and place in pot. In my case the turkey carcass was bigger than my largest pot so I split in half in order to fit it all in the same pot. I added water, to make the turkey stock. Once the turkey was falling off the bone, I let the pot cool. I removed the carcass and strained out all the stock into smaller pot. I picked off all the turkey from the carcass, and removed the stray stuffing that had gotten in the mix. I replaced all the turkey in the smaller pot with the stock and refrigerated over night. On Friday evening, removed the pot from the refrigerator skimmed off all the coagulated fat from the top then placed on the stovetop to heat up. I added chopped onion, celery and carrots to the pot and some additional water and chicken stock. I let everything simmer together till the vegetables were cooked. To give the soup a hearty feel but without adding the typical noodles; I boiled up some dried mini-cheese ravioli. I served the soup topped with a sprinkling of pecorino romano cheese.

The other leftover creation I made from the turkey was a turkey potpie. I followed the guidance in one of the basic cookbooks in my collection. I used a ready-made piecrust (we made all our own pie crusts for the Thanksgiving pies) turkey, chicken broth, milk, flour and veggies I had on hand. It really was a quick and easy way to use up more of the turkey, since it only took about 15 minutes once I popped it in the oven. In the future I would add mushrooms and perhaps red peppers.

All this turkey has made the feline in our home a fiend. She looooves turkey. She craves turkey. She won’t let me open up a container of leftover turkey without whining at me incessantly. Sometimes I feel like her dealer, but mostly I am just grateful for the help with the leftovers.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why, Sparkler, if I did not know better, I would think you were a New England girl!! Way to go w/being a creative/frugal cook!!

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I commented last week regarding show 2. I believe you referred to me as your "little anonymous friend".

Although it was disconcerting not to have been mentioned in show 3, I am still very much in love with you ladies.

I was listening to the show while walking in the park the other day when I heard someone mention something about a "Nick". I can only assume by the context of the conversation that he is some sort of boyfriend/husband...either of which are UNACCEPTABLE.

This really throws a wrench into my initial plan of marrying you both. I am still holding out hope that Nick is short for Nikki though.

Being in love sure does suck.

On a side note: I made the entire thanksgiving dinner by myself this year. Although my brother and mom did not like the potatoes, which were baby yukons pan roasted with a little rosemary and olive oil then smashed with a small amount of sour cream, chives, and roasted garlic.

I suppose that was all to sophisticated for there primitive taste buds.

I love you guys!!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Well, where to begin. Yes, I am a guy. (What about you?) And no, I am not a husband or boyfriend, just friend and podcast producer. Don't worry, I'm well aware of how lucky I am to even serve in that role. I'll leave it up to the girls to disclose their marital/relationship status.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Myasorubka said...

Dude - talk to me about potatoes. I've been doing this thing lately where I cut up a variety of potatoes into smallish wedges, and roasting them with olive oil, garlick, and herbes de provence. The kicker is to finish it with a drizzle of truffle oil.

But for Thanksgiving, we boiled creamer potatoes (skin on), and mushed them with Stilton and a little half and half. It turned out AMAZING. Perfect complement to the lamb roast.

PS - depending on what state you're in, you may still be able to marry us both, regardless of our status. And I think, for the right amount of camels, we might just go for it.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from Ohio(didn't vote for Bush), so no luck there. Also I'm 26. Do I fit into the G on G Cooking demographic?

I have some observations though regarding food in general:

Don't you guys think that the best food is more often then not the simplest food? I believe that anyways.

I make homemade pasta and splash a little olive oil and sauteed garlic on it, add some good crusty bread and it doesn't get any better then that.

I realize that cooking with pumpkin seed oil and trying different things is important, but more often then not it seems the more variables the more problems.

I make my own bread, yogurt, pasta, and pizza, and time after time I have come to realize that simplicity is the key.

Anyways, I love the show, I would tell all my friends but my dog is frigidity about wearing ear phones.

Please mention me in the next one!!!(aka a "shout out") :)

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very fortunate to be able to participate in the eating of these foods. I enjoyed the sweet potatoes and ate seconds. You are being too critical of yourself.

The turkey soup is so simple to make I am amazed that people discard the carcass. Your soup was delicious. Please tell your readers and listens that you can use rice or different pastas.

While attending a turkey dinner, I saw a woman gathering up the carcasses before they were discarded. Since she is my wife and your mother, you know I enjoyed her turkey soup for weeks.

All the anonymous writers: keep posting your enjoyable comments. I understand the desire to marry one or both of these women. I tasted a chocolate croissant baked by one last week. If I was younger and unmarried, I would have proposed marriage. They are both drop dead gorgeous and great cooks with personality. Both are a man's dream, but since one is my daughter, I guess I am slightly biased. Looks, personality, good food and they let a man drink beer what more is there to life!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

It's me...the guy from ohio. Anyways, I found this site which is sorta cool, It uses a google maps overlay to find restaurants in your area.

I know you had mentioned in the last podcast that you went to some place where they drizzled that hazelnut oil on your salad and you loved it, maybe you can use this to find it.

Either way, its sorta cool I guess.

Nice to meet your dad, he seems like a nice guy.

http://www.toeat.com/

7:55 PM  
Blogger Myasorubka said...

Found it!! It's this :http://www.patrickssidestreetcafe.com

I had The Baron sandwich from the lunch menu, and it came with a small salad with a choice of dressings. The hazelnut vinaigrette stole the show.

I didn't find it on the ToEat thing, but still think it's really cool! Will come in handy when traveling. Thanks for the link!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home