Friday, December 09, 2005

Greek Products, Lemon Mousse Cheesecake, and a formal apology for the pineapple comment.

Buncha things from the podcast:

Here's where to go to get imported Greek products in LA:

http://www.papacristo.com/

You can get Barbagianni ouzo, two varieties of paximadi - barley and rye (I prefer barley), Greek olive oil, and lots of other tasty Greek things. T and I had a lovely dish of grilled feta cheese and tomatoes, along with a super-stuffed gyro with cool, creamy tzaziki.

Sometime soon I'll do a separate post about stuff to bring home from Greece, should you be so fortunate as to travel there. Leave me some comments if you've been to Greece recently and brought home something tasty.
----------------------------------

Here's the lemon cheesecake recipe I mentioned in the podcast and promised to link:

http://tinyurl.com/dbykx

This was AMAZING! But I don't recommend the sour cream topping. It's fantastic without it.
----------------------------------


Oh yeah, and pineapples? They don't grow upside down. I lied. I'm sorry.
----------------------------------

7 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

I KNEW pineapples don't really grow upside down! Now you might as well own up to inventing that whole "fruit grows on trees" thing too, because we all know that's a lot of hooey.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a first generation Greek and growing up in the restaurant business, I loved that episode. My wife thinks I'm crazy for loving paximadi, I always make my own with our stale bread. I have never had Barbagianni ouzo, but was given a gift of Ouzo Plomari from my neighbors last summer after their trip to Greece which was the best I had ever had. What do you think about Retsina? I love it.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Myasorubka said...

I'm not so crazy about Retsina. Or maybe I just don't get it. I tried a few interesting retsinas on Santorini and in Athens, but the alcohol burn was just too strong for me and I felt that I couldn't really taste it. What I love about ouzo is, well, the magic of ouzo. I love how adding a splash of water opens it up and lets you taste all the different things that went into making it. I also love the visual acrobatics of this tasty liquid -- the color changing, the snowflakes -- is there anything this stuff can't do??

Sorry - got a little carried away. In short - restina, not so much. Ouza - yes yes yes!!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

I also prefer Ouzo. Because I get enough retsina in my Certs.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouzo turns white in water/ice because of the oils in it. Putting it in the freezer will solidify the oils and make the sparkles. Drinking makes you and the others around you extremely sexy. It truly is magical!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Myasorubka said...

Hey I tried Plomari at an ouzo bar in NYC the other night and I must say, Barbagianni is way superior. My friend got Barbagianni so I was able to compare on the spot. WAY better. Sorry, mate.

BTW the ouzo bar was called Uncle Nick's Ouzoria and it's in Hell's Kitchen. Great place! Very nice appetizers.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

still one of my faves.. amazing. I watched the pilot episode for this one with high expectations, having just graduated college and moved on to "real life". I love this show due to it's storyline. if you are looking to Watch Greek Online click here.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home