Monday, November 28, 2005

Turkey Leftovers - Butternut Squash Turkey Curry

First of all, I'd like to know how I wound up with turkey leftovers when we made lamb for our Thanksgiving dinner. And the crazy thing is - there is no lamb in the fridge! Musta just gotten up in the middle of the night and walked out! What gives??

Last night night I accidentally made something pretty tasty with the leftover turkey. It goes like this:

-1 cup leftover turkey, shredded
-1/2 cup vegetable stock
-2 cups of pre-made pureed butternut squash soup (you know, the super-bland stuff in a box at TJ's)
-1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
-4 cloves garlick, smashed
-few tablespoons of olive oil
-1 tablespoon of curry powder, or more if you're into that
-1/2 teaspoon of cumin
-salt/pepper

I started off by sauteeing the onion and garlick cloves in olive oil with a little salt and pepper. Once they got a little soft, I added the curry and the cumin and sauteed for about a minute. I threw in the turkey with a little more olive oil and let it warm up and absorb the tasty flavors. When things started drying up, I threw in the vegetable stock. After simmering for another minute or two, I added the butternut squash soup. When the soup was nice and warm, it was ready to eat. But if you have some fresh cilantro lying around, maybe throw that on top as a garnish.

This soup turned out really thick and hearty. Next time I make it, I might use it more like a curry by thickening it with something and eating it over rice. Flavor-wise, it was spicy and aromatic and very different from most turkey leftovers. And it was a really pretty shade of golden yellow, too. Vegetarians of the world may want to replace the turkey with tofu or something green like bok choy, and maybe spike it with some slivered red chilies or bell peppers for color....oh man that sounds AWESOME!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home