Friday, November 04, 2005

Adventures in pasta

So the other day, I was looking up a pasta variety on Google. It was a pasta that I'd had at Blair's in Silverlake about a year ago. They made this really sexy macaroni and cheese with truffle oil (which I have since ripped off countless times). What made it sexy was the smooth square tube-shaped pasta. I couldn't figure out which pasta it was. So I looked up "pasta varieties" on Wikipedia.com. They broke the list into several categories, two of which were "shaped" and "tubular". I narrowed the choices down bit by bit, and finally I thought the one I wanted might be ditalini. Just to make sure, I did an image search for "ditalini" on Google, and instead got a page full of women shoving objects into various orifices....Doh!

Eventually I found out that ditalini wasn't the right variety anyway.

I know most of you are gonna run off to go search for "ditalini" on Google now, but for those of you who'd like to stick around, here's my version of macaroni and cheese with truffle oil. Paula (aka The Sparkler), also made some KILLER mac and cheese this week, and I'll leave it to her to post her recipe.

I never name recipes, but this one is an exception. I call it Grown-Up Macaroni & Cheese.

-Any shaped or tubular pasta. I like penne. (I also like pinwheels, but don't tell anyone)
-a LOT of grated romano or parmesano romano mix.
-full-fat milk or half & half or cream. Your choice.
-fresh parsley
-Salt/pepper
-truffle oil

-Cook and drain the pasta, but retain about a tablespoon or two of the starchy pasta water.
-Put the pasta back in the pot with the retained pasta water.
-Keep a low heat, and start sprinkling in the cheese.
-Add a few tablespoons of cream. Just enough to wet all the cheese and make everything stick to the pasta.
-Add more cheese.
-Add more cheese.
-Add more cheese.
-Add more cream.
-Add more cheese.
-Add salt and pepper to taste.
-Now douse the thing with truffle oil until you can REALLY smell it.
-Chop the parsley and throw it over the pasta. It's both for color and flavor, so add as much as you like and mix it in if you want.
-Add more cheese.

This thing has about 6,000 calories. So, like, eat it with a salad or something. Ok?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

I think the funnier thing is that now when people search for "girl on girl ditalini" they're going to find a recipe for mac and cheese.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Eti said...

Nothing compliments 6,000 calories better than a Diet Coke.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home